We Need Help Raising Awareness For Neurological Disorders. Are You In?

My name is Sam. I suffer from the Neurological Disorder, Tourette Syndrome. Most human beings dont understand what a Neurological Disorder is let alone know what Tourette Syndrome is. A Neurological Disorder is a disorder caused by a mutation somewere in the brain. Most of the time the exact cause is unknown. Autism, Epilepsy, ADD (attention deficit disorder), ADHD (attention deficit hyperactive disorder), OCD (obssesive cumpulsive disorder), and Tourette Syndrome are just a small handfull of these disorders. My goal is to raise awareness so that the people asking themselfs, "What the heck is that?" can understand. So the people saying, "Oh hey, I recognize that." can have a wider perspective of what these disorerders feel like and so the people thinking, "Whatever... There all just crazy, stupid, morons." can really see that we are the same as all people. We just have to do things a little differently sometimes. In the end though, we are human, we are strong willed, and we want to feel normal but we can only do that if we are treated like we are normal. That all comes down to you.................. So what do you say. Are you in?

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Even the ill never rest.

Sick? What do you do when you're sick? Lounge on the couch and eat ice cream in your PJ's?  Sleep all night... AND day? Or do you just curl up in a blanket and sit, unmoving, staring into space? Well for people like me we do a little bit of all thoughts things from time to time. The only thing we can't seem to get right is the unmoving part of it. For us being sick feels the same as a normal person would feel when they are ill. However, imagine being sick and having no choice but to move. For most, I know that  exercising while feeling down in the dumps is never fun. When we tic it is like full time exercise, nonstop, no choice, just movement. Some of us even tic in our sleep (believe me i'm proof). So when you are sick you may be able to sit and not move but we can't. And I have to be honest, it kind of (really) sucks. It makes me think to myself, "As if having the flu is bad enough go ahead brain. Feel free to make me need to squeak even though my voice is gone, feel free to make me jump even though I have no energy to even sit straight, and feel free to make me suffer with the pain that comes when I just can't muster the strength to tic." Then after I realize what I just thought, you know what I do? I bang my head against the wall, fling myself to the ground, start whacking myself upside the head with a yard stick............................................. Ok maybe that's a bit much. What i'm trying to say is that it just goes to show that no matter what happens, what ever we are going through, whether it is a flu, a cold, or just a BAD bad day, we ticcers don't give up. So that thing in our head, you know, the one we call a brain. Ya... well news flash. That is ours. So if it is ours and it has made its living working inside us its only fair that we are the boss. We control it because we are just to strong and to determined to let it dictate the way we live our lives. Our brain is OUR BRAIN and it WILL NOT control us. So what do you say.... Are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment